Dyno Land

 So along the way I decided to investigate getting a dyno for the workshop.

Years ago I used to spend many days/weeks on a dyno in California with Bud Aksland the engine tuner for Team Roberts. 




Bud and Mike in Manteca Ca.. Buds eddie current dyno.. was actually a really good dyno...a lot of work on exhaust valve mapping and ignition mapping with pipes and cylinders (single cylinder slave engine)

Actually looked at an old water brake that was going to be donated by Dallas Rankine.. another road racing enthusiast but they really dont have the control I needed.. looked at all sorts of control systems but rejected the idea in the end..(smart move)


A mate sent me a link to a dyno for sale...never used in NZ.. in parts.. and hardly used in Australia.. Negotiated a deal .. probably paid a little too much for it but it had a very good retarder on it and setup for motorcycles... how hard can it be! Things I do!



Well of course it didn't work....actually.. at all... the load cell was damaged... bought one locally...changed all the fittings etc as the Mustang dyno is American of course!

Controller and power supply was OK.. once I get my head around it... Sam and I spent many days scratching our head..

Stole a PC from the office ... new software from Mustang.. (well not new but old and no info....could not get it to work.... until actually I found that I needed the correct PID values... (havent I been there before??



Dyno Power supply and data acquisition board - old but quite good actually.





The trusty "slave" motorbike while I learnt how to use the dyno.. and fix most of the bits that were either broken or missing!

Ohh.. and like most bike dynos.. no starter.. so I wanted to run the KR3 and other road race bikes.. so better fit a starter..

Actually did the first KR3 runs using Granddads scooter as a starter.. built a timber frame to put it on...


Went up market and the only Chev starter motor we could find was chrome!.. Fully bling!

A bit of wiring, battery and a foot switch... voila!



A few more slave bikes...to get the software a bit better.. and an Air Fuel Sensor interfaced into the software..... oh and an exhaust extractor.. thanks Ashley and Veggie!.. and Sam of course...

Calculations... head scratching... so we can calibrate the dyno readings...actually pretty cool setup..



 Then back to the KR3!

Goodwood

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Lots of other older Links to the side!  ->>  Such a privilege to be invited to attend. So many thanks to Chris and arranging for the D...